Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Whoops! I made a math mistake: It works for me (revised)

In the Discrete Fourier Transform script I wrote to convert from time domain to frequency domain, the constant 2π is used.  I incorrectly entered  6.2318 instead of the correct value of  6.28318.  This not only changed the spectrum but significantly changed the peak amplitude as illustrated by the revised plots below. 

Before stimulus tremor spectrum with the correct constant


After stimulus tremor spectrum with the correct constant.

Instead of reducing my peak tremors by 2/3, it actually reduced the peak amplitude by 40% (3/5). I apologize for any distress that my error might have caused.
-----------------------------------------------revision ends----------------------------------------------------------------

 I can finally announce that my tremor stimulus device works for me.  15 minutes of stimulus reduced the peak amplitude of my forearm tremors by ⅔.

Here is the Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) chart of my forearm tremor before I used my stimulus device.

And here is the DFT chart after 15 minutes of stimulation




Before the peak tremor amplitude was about 0.6.  After the stimulus was applied the peak amplitude is just a smidge over 0.2  Almost a ⅔ reduction in the peak amplitude!

I’m typing this about 3 hours after recording that data.   Usually I get a large number of double keystrokes.  So far the tremors are mostly not there.  Oh they will return, but I can get relief from my tremors within a few minutes.  A non-drug, non-invasive, inexpensive temporary solution to my tremors.  Maybe I’ll be able to draw again.

My tremor stimulus device is based on Commercial Off The Shelf hardware and some custom software.  It is entirely battery powered so there are no dangerous voltages. The software is Open Source, so you can copy it, and build your own tremor stimulus device. 

How much does it cost?  About $200USD.  Prices vary so much due to the shortages of chips and of course shipping costs are dependent on where you live.  If you change the stick on electrodes every week, the running cost will be less than $1USD/week.

Have tremors in both hands?  Just stick the electrodes onto the appropriate area on the other hand.

ama

(Please note: This information should not be used as a substitute for medical treatment and advice. Always consult a medical professional about any health-related questions or concerns.)

4 comments:

  1. Details, please. What equipment and materials are needed? What kinds and levels of skill are important for one to build the device? Also, any special knowledge and/or understanding of terminology needed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your interest. I'll add your questions to the FAQ I'm preparing. There is a detailed list of components that is just about ready. As for knowledge, you will have to do a few, relatively easy things that may be new to you. If you can manage to install an app on your phone, you should be able to successfully build a copy of my device. More later. I'll try to keep my posts timely.

      Delete
    2. Very interested but have no idea how to do this
      Help

      Delete
    3. The detailed information regarding building this device can be found on Reddit: reddit.com/r/EssentialTremorLab/

      Delete

Caution: Beta Blockers and Atrioventricular Block

  Propranolol is a beta blocker and is the only drug approved by the FDA for the treatment of Essential Tremors. Beta blockers cause the hea...